In no particular order, here is a list of 10 ventures / part time jobs that you can do alongside your day job or work at home. If you need a bit of extra money then hopefully one of these ideas will suit you!
1) Massages. You can complete complimentary therapy courses relatively cheap at local collages. Massage courses, Shellac courses and similar have relatively low overheads and high profit margins. In order to practice properly you need to be insured however this is only a small price because for most therapies you require the customer to sign a disclaimer. You can charge anywhere between £10-£30 for a home massage which will last around one hour. Once you have a list of treatments and therapies you are trained in; compose a price list and start marketing! This is a great way of building up extra income on the side. As an extra bonus, you can also take advantage of a student card whilst doing some of the courses! This can save you a lot of money in certain shops.
2) Plastering. On a similar thread, there is always demand for skilled tilers and plasterers. You can charge around £100 per day when you have the right skills for the job. Tilers and plasterer’s courses are relatively cheap and you do not need to study for very long before you can start practising. You should enquire at your local college for more information. Once you are trained you can advertise yourself in local classified ads, you can also apply for jobs listed on Anyjob.com.
3) Utility Warehouse. Become a Utility Warehouse distributor. This company sell gas, electricity, mobile phone deals and broadband packages. Their prices are competitive so it can be easy to sell, it is up to you whether you take it door to door, sell to friends and family or market it online. When you become a Utility Warehouse Distributor and you can earn commission every time someone you recommend takes their services, every month, for as long as they remain a customer. You will receive full training free of charge in how to promote their services and you can work full-time or part-time as best suits your circumstances.
4) Delivery driver. If you can drive, you can offer your services as a delivery driver. Some companies pay you per parcel which can be around £1-£2 plus 40-50 pence per mile. Other companies pay you an hourly rate. Be wary about certain companies as they occasionally do not pay you for a failed delivery, for example, when someone is not at home to receive the parcels. Companies such as Yodel and Hermes are always looking for drivers and you do not have to satisfy many conditions to work for them. The things you do need are: business use on your insurance and somewhere safe to store the parcels prior to delivering them. If you only want to receive parcels and not deliver them, you can offer depot services. People attend your business/address and drop off parcels prior to the courier collecting them. You can earn around 75 pence per parcel. If you have a plot of land/space/shop you can request an Inpost machine. These are basically big lockers where members of the public drop off parcels before the courier collects them and you do not have to do anything at all just rent the space!
5) Juice Plus+. Become a Juice Plus+ distributor. Juice Plus+ is whole food based nutrition, including juice powder concentrates from 25 different fruits, vegetables and grains. Juice Plus+ helps Juice Plus+ is all-natural and made from quality ingredients carefully monitored from farm to capsule so you can enjoy improved nutrition and wellness. It is basically a product which helps people lead a more healthy lifestyle. Juice Plus+ representatives come from diverse professional backgrounds and are represented in more than 20 countries. This particular opportunity is appealing for individuals who do not have alot of start-up capital to invest because only a $50 application fee is required to get started, and ongoing training and support are provided to you as you grow and maintain your business. Click here for more information
6) Herbalife. On a similar thread, you can become a distributor for Herbalife. You can choose to promote products which are most meaningful to you, or you can promote Herbalife entire product range. Herbalife product categories include: Weight Management, Targeted Nutrition, Sports, Energy / Fitness and Outer Nutrition. Herbalife International is an American multi-level marketing company that develops markets and sells nutrition, weight management and skin-care products globally.
7) Mark exams. If you have a professional qualification, a teacher or lecturers then you can boost your income by marking GCSE/a-levels and professional exam papers. Even if you are retired you can take advantage of this easy way to make money. Exam boards generally recruit throughout the year with the bulk of examiners employed for the summer; most marking is done in June and then a bit more in January. Marking usually takes three or four weeks for which the examiner will be paid something in the range of £2 to £3 per paper.
8) Exam invigilator. If you do not have qualifications then you can become an examination invigilator. They are the people walking the floor of the exam hall and ensuring all the students are not cheating! Most education authorities, colleges and universities will recruit invigilators prior to their May-June and January exam periods, so the weeks or months before then are the best time to start looking. Check out your local borough council website for positions at local schools, which will need people to oversee GCSE and A-level exams. If you have a child at school, keep an eye out for any announcements in the school newsletter, or it might even be worth asking schools in your area directly.
9) Car parking. If you have a car parking space in a permit zone, town centre or desirable location then you can rent out your car parking space. Depending on your area, you could net up to £200/mth just for letting somebody park in your drive or garage. You can’t sell your council’s permit however if you own the space then you can do it. You can advertise it on places such as Gumtree and social media.
10) Medical research. My final suggestion is medical research. Not only are you doing a good thing; promoting the development of science and you also get paid quite handsomely. Not all treatments require a hospital stay but the ones that do pay very well. There are some great stop smoking trials that are ongoing at the minute and these do not require hospital stays and you get to stop smoking!